Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Press and photos!


I am back at another school so have been silent for a few weeks. In the last week or so I have had an article in this German Felting Journal and guess what! I made the front cover!
I am so pleased because it is such a high quality publication and the images look great - even if you can't read German the photos speak a thousand words. The piece on the cover is called "Breakaway" and now lives in South Korea http://www.filzfun.de/index-2.php
Good quality shots are ESSENTIAL if you are going to keep track of your work over a long period of time. It is so easy to forget pieces the moment they leave you. With a brain that finds it hard to slow down on possible creations and designs, it is the only record of what I have done.
When I am unable to come up with a new idea, a good folio of photos is the only way to refresh my mind. So my advice is - don't let it get out the door - even if it is a gift - without
a photo or two to add to your records. Clients love looking through your folio to see what they can order as well.
When I am 80 and can't roll my felt anymore and my memory is less than perfect - at least I will have a reminder of what on earth I did for all those years!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Elizabeth how wonderful,thats a good tip about taking a photo especially a good quality one as thats not always easy to do as some of mine have been awful and I regret it later,felt can be difficult to photograph well. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  2. CLose ups are best so that you can gauge the texture and quality of the felt. I have a new Canon with
    great macro facility - it takes a great shot - I just haven't mastered it yet!
    Try photographing outside on an overcast day - a grey sky throws very few shadows and the work can be seen more clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on making the front cover with such a striking piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous felt Elizabeth and congrats on the front cover!! whoohooo... go the aussie vbg

    ReplyDelete